One of my favourite ingredients is matcha green tea powder. I put it in everything – cakes, biscuits, sauces, you name it. It is particularly good for using in desserts with it’s bitter flavour and milky aftertaste. I decided to incorporate it into a simple scones recipe to make some yummy green tea scones 🙂 They go great with homemade mandarin marmalade!
Ingredients (makes 12 scones of around 4cm in diameter):
- 225g self raising flour
- 3tsp matcha powder
- pinch of salt
- 55g butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 150ml milk
- 1 egg beaten (for glazing)
- Heat the oven to 220C / Gas mark 7.
- Put the flour, salt and matcha powder into a bowl and mix together.
- Rub in the butter.
- Stir in the sugar and add the milk and mix until you get a soft dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.
- Pat the dough until it is a thickness of around 2cm and use a cutter to cut out rounds. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough, cut out more scones and then repeat the process until all the dough is used up.
- Place the scones onto a lightly greased baking tray.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden.