My favourite Japanese restaurant in London closed down last year much to my dismay and one of the dishes that I would always get there was a dish called “Nasu Miso” (aubergine with miso). It had an unforgettably sweet and salty miso taste and was cooked with fried garlic, definitely the best aubergine and miso dish I’ve ever tasted!
This week I tried to recreate that same dish with my own recipe and it actually turned out to be nearly the same. Here is the recipe that I used 🙂 :
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sake
- 4 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1 small eggplant (cut into strips)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Deep fry the aubergine strips until cooked and then put them on a kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Place the mirin and sake in a small pot and simmer over a medium heat for about 2 minutes so that the alcohol boils off.
- Add the miso and then stir in the sugar
- Reduce the heat to very low and continue cooking for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Turn off the heat.
- In a saucepan, stir fry the garlic in the sesame oil until cooked and then add the miso sauce and aubergine strips and mix well.
- Serve immediately.