I am a big fan of spicy food so naturally I adore Korean food. On a trip to Seoul a few years ago I had my first taste of Kimchee Fried Rice with cheese (or Kimchi Bokumbop as it is called in Korean). This inspired me to create my own version of the dish. I topped it with a fried egg white and some Korean fried seaweed (see photo below). I used a heart shaped mould to make a cute heart shaped fried egg 🙂 If you’re looking for a heart shaped mould you can find some in my Etsy shop: WorldOfKawaii.etsy.com
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 200g kimchee (I bought some kimchee from a Korean supermarket – see photo below)
- 1 whole garlic (minced)
- 100g mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper paste (Gochujang in Korean – see photo below)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp olive/vegetable oil ( I usually use olive oil since it is healthier)
- In a large pot or wok heat the olive oil on a medium heat and then add the minced garlic.
- Fry the garlic for a couple of minutes until it is nearly cooked and then add the kimchee (save the kimchee liquid for the next step) and fry for around 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to the wok and add the sesame oil, Gochujang paste and kimchee liquid to the rice and mix well.
- After a few minutes add the mozzarella cheese and stir it into the rice until it melts. After this turn off the heat and serve.