- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- 55g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C / Gas 3.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together well using an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the mixture, mixing well before adding the next egg.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and add the lemon zest. Mix until well combined.
- Line a 25cm x 14cm loaf tin with greaseproof paper and pour in the mixture and flatten the top using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until the cake is cooked. To test whether it is ready, use a cake tester or skewer to pierce the centre of the cake and if it comes out clean then it is ready.
- To make the sauce mix together the lemon juice and caster sugar in a bowl.
- Use a fork to pierce the top of the cake all over and then using a spoon, distribute the sauce evenly over the top of the cake.
- Leave the cake to cool and then remove it from the tin.