These cookies are delicious and crunchy with a strong matcha taste. It’s my favourite matcha cookie recipe! If you prefer to have a milder matcha flavour, use around 8g of matcha powder in the recipe instead of 15g. Happy Baking! ^-^
Ingredients (makes 20-25 cookies):
- 100g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 80g caster sugar
- 1 medium sized egg (separate yolk and egg white)
- 165g plain flour
- 15g matcha powder
- Mix the butter and caster sugar in a bowl until smooth.
- Add the egg yolk and mix well.
- Separate the mixture into two.
- Sieve 65g of flour and the matcha powder in another bowl and mix it together with half of the butter and sugar mixture from the previous step. Wrap the dough in some cling film and leave it to chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Sieve 100g of flour in a bowl and mix it with the other half of the butter and sugar mixture. Wrap the dough in some cling film and leave it to chill in the fridge for an hour.
- After the dough has chilled, roll each half into a square that is about 20cm x 20cm and 3mm thick.
- Put the white dough on a flat surface on top of some cling film and brush egg white on the upper surface.
- Place the green dough on top.
- Cut the edge of the dough nearest to you and farthest away to neaten it up (it is not necessary to cut the two side edges)
- Starting with the edge of the dough nearest to you, roll the dough into a cylinder using the cling film underneath to help roll it and then wrap it in the cling film and leave it to chill in the fridge for an hour.
- After the dough has chilled cut the cylinder into 5mm thick cookies using a sharp knife.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes at 170C until they are slightly brown at the edges.
- Leave the cookies to cool and then store them in an airtight container.