This is a very simple chocolate cupcake recipe that I used to make some cupcakes for a friend’s birthday. It only takes around 20 minutes to prepare the batter and icing and the outcome is deliciously moist and very chocolaty cupcakes that everyone will love!
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes):
- 175g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 150g self-raising flour (sifted)
- 50g cocoa (sifted)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients (chocolate icing):
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100g butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / gas mark 4.
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix until just combined and smooth. Don’t mix the batter for too long.
- Arrange 12 cupcake liners in a cupcake tray and divide the mixture evenly into each liner.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes and then leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, chop the chocolate and butter into small pieces place it in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water until melted. Mix the melted butter and chocolate together to form the icing.
- Let the icing cool for around 15 minutes until it has thickened and then spread it over each cupcake. Decorate the icing with chocolate pieces or any other cute decorations!