This is a classic and flavourful Thai green curry recipe with chicken and Thai aubergine and pea aubergine. If you can’t get hold of Thai aube2gine and pea aubergine then you can substitute them with a purple aubergine.
Ingredients (green curry paste):
- 10 small green chillies
- 1 big green chilli
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 coriander root
- 1/2 tbsp kaffir lime zest
- 1/2 tbsp galangal (finely sliced)
- 1 tbsp lemongrass stems (finely sliced)
- half a garlic (peeled)
- 1 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground roasted coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- 10 sweet basil leaves
- 10 coriander leaves
- 3 shallots (peeled)
- 1/2 tsp shrimp paste
Directions (green curry paste):
- Using a pestle and mortar, pound the ingredients in the following order (make sure the ingredients are well blended before adding the next ones):
- Pound the green chillies (big and small) together with the salt.
- Add the coriander root and kaffir lime zest and pound.
- Add the galangal and pound.
- Add the lemongrass and pound.
- Add the garlic and pound.
- Add the cumin seeds and coriander seeds and pound.
- Add the white pepper powder and pound.
- Add the sweet basil leaves and coriander leaves and pound.
- Add the shallots and pound.
- Add the shrimp paste and pound.
- The ingredients should now be well pounded and will have become a smooth paste (this green curry paste can be kept in a fridge for 2 weeks or a freezer for 1 month).
Ingredients (green curry):
- 2 tbsp olive oil/vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp green curry paste
- 1/4 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground roasted coriander seeds
- 1 cup coconut milk (this can be bought in cans or you can mix 3 tbsp coconut powder with 1 cup of hot water)
- 100g chicken (cut into small pieces)
- 2 Thai aubergines (cut into quarters)
- 10 pea aubergines
- 2 big red chillis (sliced)
- 1 kaffir lime leaf (torn into small pieces)
- 10 sweet basil leaves
- 1/2 tbsp palm sugar (see photo above)
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
Directions (green curry):
- Heat the oil in a pot on medium heat and then add the green curry paste. Stir it around until the aroma develops and the oil turns slightly green.
- Add the coriander seeds and cumin seeds and stir fry until you can smell the aroma of the seeds.
- Add a few tablespoons of the coconut milk, stir and simmer for a few minutes until the oil separates from the coconut milk. Repeat this 2 more times.
- Add the chicken and stir it around until it is half cooked. Then add the aubergine and the rest of the coconut milk. Bring to the boil and cook for a few minutes until the aubergine and chicken are cooked.
- Add the palm sugar and fish sauce and stir.
- Gently stir in the kaffir lime leaves, chillies and basil leaves.
- Remove from the heat and serve with rice.
TIP: When aubergine is cooked it tends to lose it’s colour. You can preserve the colour by soaking the aubergine before using it in a small bowl filled with water and the juice of half a lime.